The summer holidays are nearly here! After a long school year, kids need a break. But it’s also important that they stay healthy – physically and mentally.
Regression during the school holidays
During the holidays, many children rarely read a book, write a story or practice their times tables. Unfortunately, on returning to school, it’s often found that children’s learning levels have taken a step backward; leaving them at a disadvantage for the next year.
Finding the right balance
Follow these five steps to keep a healthy school holiday routine that allows your child time to relax while keeping their brain active and preventing regression.
- Eat well – enjoy summer fruits, they improve brain health.
- Exercise and play – give your child lots of opportunities to play outside. Exercise is important for physical health and it promotes the formation of new brain cells.
- Keep a good sleep routine – children need more sleep than adults, and it’s vital to their cognitive skills.
- Limit TV time – watching TV doesn’t require much thinking and a lot of TV time will likely cause regression.
- Enrol in a learning acceleration program – rather than pulling out the school books, combine learning with something that kids enjoy: computer games.
Sonic Learning’s school holiday programs
Sonic Learning offers three evidence-based online school holiday programs that present the perfect compromise between play and work. Enrol now to train during the school holidays: