NDIS Autism funding is a real game-changer. The introduction of the NDIS was a big change in how disability supports are funded. How does using your NDIS funds for Autism work?
Is Autism covered by the NDIS? If so, what funding and help is available?
This post uses identity-first language (e.g. “autistic person” instead of “person with autism”) as we understand this is the preference of the adult autism community.
Does the NDIS cover autism?
However, an Autistic person must be diagnosed as “Level 2 (Requiring substantial support) or Level 3 (Requiring very substantial support)” to receive funding from the NDIS.
How much funding can I get for Autism?
The specific amount of NDIS Autism funding you or your child will receive will depend on your NDIS plan and individual needs.
How to use NDIS plan funds for Autism
Ok, so you have a NDIS plan. How you can use your NDIS Autism funding will depend on:
1. Funding categories available in your plan.
Most Autism NDIS plans have some funds allocated in “Core” and some in “Capacity Building – Improved Daily Living”. The NDIS has a huge price guide document but it can be a bit confusing. Usually, Autistic people will use Core funding for support worker help, and Capacity Building funding for therapy.
2. How your funding is managed.
Your plan might be agency managed, plan managed, or self managed.
Self managed provides the greatest flexibility, allowing you to choose your provider (including non-registered providers) and pay above the NDIS price guide rates.
Autism plan example for NDIS
- Your details – including your NDIS number, NDIS contact and plan start and review date
- Your profile – name, date of birth, contact details; an ‘about me’ section; who supports you in life; who provides medical/health support and how you help others in the community
- Your goals – short and medium/long-term goals, including how you will achieve your goals and who will help you. You’ll set your goals in your planning meeting – here are tips for preparing for that meeting.
- Your support categories – the funding categories you can access in this plan. Specific dollar amounts will be listed for each category. In most cases, you can choose how you spend those funds to reach your goals. You do not have to name specific providers on your plan.
What if I can’t get funding? What programs are available and how much do they cost?
- Pricing: from $60 per month, including data monitoring and feedback from our coaches
Our NDIS programs for Autism
Learn more & contact us
Download NDIS info pack
This information pack will help you learn more about our program and help you decide if it is right for you.
Social Skills info pack
Everything you need to know about our Social Skills program in one easy package.
Book a free phone consult
This free telephone consultation can help to answer any questions you have about our services. At Sonic Learning we are all experienced teachers and health professionals so parents tend to find it very beneficial to be able to discuss their concerns and receive guidance from our team.