1. Headphone recommendations
Each student requires a set of headphones for training. An additional set should also be provided for the Fast ForWord coach. Headphones are essential for Fast ForWord training to ensure a high quality sound signal and to reduce auditory distractions.
Please use headphones that meet the following criteria:
- High quality stereo headphones that cover the ear.
- Padded headband and ear cups for comfort.
Headphones that meet these criteria can be purchased easily and inexpensively from retailers throughout Australia, either online or in-store. Some examples include:
- Highly recommended: Deluxe Stereo Headphones from Altronics (bulk discount on their website).
- Sennheiser HD 201 Closed Stereo Headphones from Harvey Norman.
The following headphone types are not recommended:
- Earbud headphones (e.g. ipod headphones) or other headphones that do not fully enclose the ear.
- Active noise cancelling headphones, as they alter the sound signal of the exercises.
- Bone conduction headphones.
- Wireless or infra red headphones. The headphones should be physically connected to the computer.
Each student computer needs a 3.5 mm headphone splitter to allow two sets of headphones to be plugged into a computer at the same time. This will enable the coach to instantly plug their headphones into the student’s computer and hear what the student hears. Splitters are available from most electronics stores. Here are some examples:
- Highly recommended: 3.5 mm stereo plug from Altronics (bulk discount on their website).
- 3.5 mm Stereo Plug from Selby Acoustics.
- 3.5 mm splitter from Officeworks.
- 3.5 mm splitter from Harvey Norman.
Headphone splitters can also be purchased inexpensively on the internet.